[Spellyans] Introduction

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 06:19:06 BST 2008

A name like Semmens can only hail from St Just/Botallack - and a lot of
them are still there.  Just outside St Just is Semmens Coal and Oil
Yard; a Semmens whose first name escapes me for the moment was, until
recently, the regular full-back for St Just rugby club, and Adrian
Semmens is currently Chairman of Penwith Council's Planning committee.
The Queen's Arms, Botallack (mentioned in both of Hammond Innes's
novels, "Wreckers must Breathe" and "The Killer Mine") is where my
drunken Irish horse and I can often be found during the lunchtime
periods at weekends.

Craig