[Spellyans] The quantity system

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 18:05:42 BST 2008

Ah, I think I see what you mean. In <ryal/rial> the sound is simply
"ee-uh", with no variations.  I was simply querying the SWF spelling of
<ryal> when, if <i> is to represent the long vowel, this appears
inconsistent.  It would avoid a sound similar to Eng. "real" (an E sound
of rather short duration in normal speech, when it is of longer duration
and closer to "ree-ul" - more like "real" when heavily emphasised:
"there's  a REAL difference", rather than "it's as real as you are".
Try both statements and you'll appreciate the difference in duration of
the E in the same word.  Admittedly, there's not a massive difference
between the two sounds but it is there.

Craig