[Spellyans] Front unrounded vowels, was: The quantity system

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Tue Jun 24 22:33:44 BST 2008

I have looked at your sample text, as requested.

I  really don't like this use of the dieresis. I think that it makes the
text look unauthentic. It's not really "unobtrusive". If it were it just
wouldn't work.
However, if we must have the dieresis in our orthography, I have the
following comments:

1) It is easy to remember that <ÿ> is [i:]. It is less easy to remember that
<ÿ> is [e:].
2) It is easy to remember that <ë> is [e:]. It is easy for English speakers
to remember that <ë> is [i:].
3) I would maintain <ei> as an alternative for those who cannot or do not
want to use diacritical marks.
4) <ei> is closer to <ë> than it is to <ÿ>, so I would favour <ë>.
unacceptable. This would give veadh, beas, deadh, preas ... just a thought.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim