[Spellyans] Front unrounded vowels, was: The quantity system

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Tue Jun 24 22:43:31 BST 2008

From: Michael Everson
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:43 PM

"I ask you earnestly to open your heart to the dewboynt. Else we are surely
going to be stuck."

I very much sympathise with Owen. For me, e/y + dewboynt is as easy or
difficult to write as e/y + circumflex. There is no difference. The
circumflex, tome, is more logical, as it suggests a long vowel, whereas a
diaeresis in my association could suggest a long or short vowel.

And. uh. why are we talking about this? The alternation of <y> ~ <e> in the
SWF is OK and it is also authentic in that it occurred in traditional
Cornish. This is not an error in the SWF in my opinion.

Dan