[Spellyans] Use of diacritics

Terry teli7777 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 16:51:31 BST 2008

Michael is right about the y-diaeresis. There is no reason that PC users
should have a problem with y-diaeresis. All you have to do is hold down
the alt key and type 0255 on the numeric keypad. If that's too
complicated MSWord allows you to assign keystrokes in the insert
function and there are even free add ons such as  Uniqoder which make it
even easier.  As far as the new portable phones etc. there is no way to
provide for the limitations of every new device. The only problem I see
with a diaeresis is that some people can't abide diacritics and some
devices don't support them. I would imagine that in private
communications the diacritics would be left off anyway.

Adding the diacritic to disambiguate forms will make things much easier
for the learner.

Terry Corbett