[Spellyans] <y Y> + diacritical

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Thu Jun 26 00:11:05 BST 2008

Vocalic Alternation is a complication.
If we have it, it needs to be defendable. This will be easier if we get it
right.
If it's not right, then it's broken, so it should be fixed -- regardless of
the route by which it came into being.
If we don't repair it now, the KK-ers in 5 years' time will say that VA
never really worked; let's get rid of it.
If the rule is going to be that some <e> become <y> in monosyllables then it
must also become <i> in monosyllables -- depending on whether it is long or
short if that is to be the rule for deciding whether to write <y> or <i>.
Given that the whole thing is optional, in some cases, we might need <ë>,
<ÿ> and <ï>. This is complicated.
You might want to use a single graph to represent all three, e.g. <ea>.
This would give deadh, deadhyow as the only form. The <ea> would be an
We could use <ë> if you must, instead of <ea>, giving dëdh, dëdhyow.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim