[Spellyans] 'teacher'

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Jun 18 19:30:09 BST 2010

On 18 Jun 2010, at 14:30, nicholas williams wrote:

> This is based on Romans 2.20. The phrase dyskar then re nag ew fure is 'instructor to the foolish' in the Authorised Version. Nance has dyscador/dyscajor only in his 1936 dictionary, but gives both dyscador and dyscor in his English-Cornish dictionary of 1951. Since dyscador/dyscajor is unattested in traditional Cornish while dyscor is attested in TH, we should perhaps prefer Tregear's word to Lhuyd's invention.

I think this train has left the station, Nicholas. It's just too late to tinker this way with a word that's been in use for such a long time.

I prefer descajor 'teacher' and descor 'learner', and note that both are given thus in the UCR dictionary, and that their analogues dyskador and dysker are given thus in the KK dictionary as well.