[Spellyans] *gwruthyl

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Fri Jul 29 22:21:02 BST 2011

According to Nicholas, «*Gwruthyl» is unattested. However, Nance includes «gwrüthyl» in his 1952 EC dictionary, and in his 1955 CE dictionary. Wella Brown has it in his 1984 grammar. Ken George includes it in his 1993 CE dictionary.

Ken apparently had the technology to count them (electronically, I assume), and gives an “authentication” code of {8:ML:4} which means “derived” and with “some doubt” from something that actually occurred in the texts 10 to 31 times. By way of comparison, «gul» gets an “authentication” code of {8:ML:6} which means“derived” and with “some doubt” from something that actually occurred in the texts 100 to 316 times. What texts has Ken seen that Nicholas hasn’t? Was there a misreading at least 10 times, and by at least two people? I doubt it; nor do I believe that Nicholas would have missed at least 10 occurrences. Why did Ken have “some doubt” in the spelling of «gul»? Something very odd has happened.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim