[Spellyans] "small" in Cornish

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Fri Sep 2 08:44:26 BST 2011

No, they don't settle questions, but they do provide valuable evidence
that we can't afford to ignore.  I find 14th century examples of
byghan (in West Penwith!), which is exactly the period Nance was
looking at, the Ordinalia also originating in that century.  I even
have a 13th century bichan (the very same location).  Place-names
provide the only evidence that the variant bygh/bigh was also in use -
as far as I know, that word isn't in the texts but is in several place-
names.

Chayr is found in several names, as well as cader.  Immediately
springing to mind are Mawnan Cheer (chayr + saint's name in Eng. word
order); Carn Cheer and Chair Ladder (chayr + lader 'thief' - this
isn't leder 'slope, cliff', as this feature is also referred to as
'Tutton Harry an Lader' - seat of Harry the Thief [N.Boson]).

Craig

--
Craig Weatherhill