[Spellyans] gawas 'to get'

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Sep 7 22:31:46 BST 2011

That is strange regarding the pre-occlusion in Manx.  Only one British
tongue has it, only one Gaelic tongue has it.  It's hard to see
whether one influenced the other.  Sea-trading might be one
possibility, but that trade would also have called into Wales,
Ireland, Scotland and Brittany.  They have no trace of it.  Maybe
those languages had so many speakers that they were beyond minor
external influences - but Manx would not have been, having perhaps as
few speakers as Cornish did.  And vice-versa, of course.  From whence
came the influence?  Cornwall to Man, or the other way round?  If
there is a connection between the two developments of pre-occlusion,
then that's the only one I can think of.

Craig

--
Craig Weatherhill