[Spellyans] gawas 'to get'

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu Sep 8 08:53:31 BST 2011

With regard to final -dh, it was my understanding the SWF was devised
with an aim of being unambiguous to learners.  There are several
places where it fails to achieve this, one being the inconsistent use
of -dh and -th.  For example, it has nowyth, but also menydh.  Surely,
in these bisyllables where the final is unstressed these should both
be shown as unvoiced -th, only going to -dh when a further syllable is
added, e.g. menydhek, 'hilly'.

In monosyllabic words, where obviously stressed, we have fordh, but
also porth.  Some claim that voicing is indicated by the traditional
dropping of the final, as in for' (for'eglos, 'churchway'), but this
isn't so, either.  Porth is always spelt with unvoiced -th (although
there are early spellings with pord), and yet there are numerous
instances of por'  (Par, Por'loe, etc).

To someone like me, the use of -th and -dh in SWF appears to be more a
matter of whimsy than of thought.  This needs to be addressed in 2013.

Craig

--
Craig Weatherhill