[Spellyans] gawas 'to get'

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Thu Sep 8 11:04:31 BST 2011

Yes I can see that there is a historical precedent for it.  My main
objection to the current trend in revived Cornish is the apparent view
that we must 'dumb down'.  As I said, is it really so difficult to
remember to give final 'f' a 'v' sound?

I suppose it is all part of a general dumbing down in society.  The
popularity of Samba bands because people can't be bothered to learn a
real instrument, church music, dumbed down English in Bible
translations, road markings to tell us what any driver with common
sense can see with his own eyes, the list is endless.

On 8 Gwn 2011, at 10:35, nicholas williams wrote:

> I didn't at first really like final <v>.
> If we take all those words which in CW and elsewhere end in <ve> we
> find, inter alia,
>
> gwave 'winter'
> have 'summer'
> eve 'he, him'
> creve 'strong'
> neve 'heaven'
> preve 'worm, reptile'
> ove 'I am'
> gove 'smith'.
>
> We don't however use final silent -e, since that is a spelling
> convention derived from English. If we remove
> the silent -e from these items, they become gwav, hav, ev, crev,
> nev, prev, ov and gov, the recommended KS forms.
> Although they don't look like MC gwaf, haf, ef, cref, etc. they do
> have the merit of making clear
> that the final segment is [v] rather than [f]. This avoids
> mispronunciations like me yw *goff hag yth *off *creff.
> Spellings like hav, gwav, prev etc. also make the spelling
> easier for those used to a LC orthography.
> They cannot be called untraditional because sporadic spelling like
> ev 'he', ov 'am' occur even in MC and CW:
>
> ev yv pen cok RD 2017
> mabe Jared yth ov heb gowe CW 2096
>
> Nicholas
>
> On 2011 Gwn 8, at 09:31, Ray Chubb wrote:
>
>>> Ray, what you don’t like is the ‘look’ of final <dh> and <v>,

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow

   Agan Tavas web site:  www.agantavas.com