[Spellyans] gawas 'to get'

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Thu Sep 8 12:20:51 BST 2011

On 8 Gwn 2011, at 11:22, Michael Everson wrote:

> Yes, it is. Listen to revivalists say [ɛf] instead of [ɛv] for
> "ef". They do it. It really *is* too difficult for people to
> remember to give final 'f' an 'v' sound. It's also too difficult for
> them to remember that "pryf" is [priːv] not [prɪf]. That is why we
> write "prÿv" in KS.

Next question how, strong should the 'v' sound be?  Is it simply a
closing of the lips or is it a 'v' with a bit of a buzz in it?  In
truth we will never know. Perhaps what you are hearing from speakers
is in fact correct.  This is the reason why Nance took the right
approach when he stuck, as far as possible, to his sources.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow

   Agan Tavas web site:  www.agantavas.com