[Spellyans] pronunciation of Gorsedh

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 10 16:46:41 BST 2011

On 2011 Gwn 10, at 16:29, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> …It’s a borrowing from Welsh anyway, so there is no real way to say whether it’s mistaken or not.

That's not necessarily so. It would make sense for the Cornish loan of W. gorsedd to conform to existing cognates in Cornish, where the choice between -th and -dh has already been (presumably) normalised in the orthography of one's choice. A failure to conform in this way could be deemed a mistake.

Since I write UC, I would use:
eseth, pl. esedhow
gorseth, pl. gorsedhow
…along with other <-eth> words, such as a dheseth, geseth, beth, seth, cleth, jeth etc.

I would expect users of, say, SWF-T to use <-dh> consistently for all such words, in conformity with the design of their orthography. For them to use <-th> would be a 'mistake'.

Eddie Climo