[Spellyans] In The Year

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Mon Nov 5 23:29:40 GMT 2012

Thanks Nicholas and Michael.

Yes, I think you are correct. <i'n vledhen 1887>  matches the English, Irish
and Welsh.

However, I think that Gwavas must have been saying "in a year of our Lord
God, [which is named/numbered] 1710".
The apostrophe in Gwavas' <a'n> seems to indicate that <blethen> is
indefinite. If 1710 was seen as a proper noun, that would make the whole
thing definite, so "the" between "in" and "year" was not required.

In <i'n vledhen 1887>, "1887" is an adjective which limits the scope of
<vledhen> -- to such an extent that <vledhen 1887> becomes a proper noun for
that period of time. Therefore, perhaps, it should be <in Bledhen 1887>, and
that would be consistent with Gwavas.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim