[Spellyans] SWF Review

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Sep 19 10:47:00 BST 2012

Vanessa is a very lovely, and deeply caring person, but how strong is
she?

Although I have been doing my best to work with the SWF, it's far from
perfect.   The problems arose because of (in my view) poor
Chairmanship of the AHG, and the overturning of the original brief.

The brief from the Commission, applauded by almost everyone at the
Tremough presentation, was that the SWF was to be based on KD, with KS
input.  That did not happen, once doors were closed at Treyarnon.
Although the KD designers were there, the KS architects were excluded
from attendance.

KK, UC, UCR and other orthographies were to play no significant role,
other than to inform.  But what happened was that KD and KS were, to
all intents and purposes, pushed aside.  Trond caved under pressure,
the AHG was not fairly balanced, and KK became the principal default
model.

I'd like to say that the Review Board will result in an improved and
more inclusive SWF - and remember that the traditional graph option,
along with those who refer to use it, have been utterly ignored in the
4 years since Treyarnon - but I fear it will not.  I'm not convinced
that any dissatisfaction with the Board's performance will bear
fruit.  After all, we have been told that the Review itself will be
the final word.

Of course, the proof of the pudding will not be visible until after
the Review has taken place.  My fears may be unjustified.  Or they may
not.

Craig