[Spellyans] The two roles of â (a-circumflex) in Kernowek Standard

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 15:43:57 BST 2013

On 18 September 2013 16:31, A. J. Trim <ajtrim at msn.com> wrote:
> We expect the SWF to be revised after 5 years, so it is sensible to see what
> they do first before revising KS

"After five years" means "right now", doesn't it?

As I understand it, the time for submitting input has passed and the
powers that be are now deliberating which changes (if any) to make,
with results expected this autumn. (Though MAGA seems to have removed
the page on the review process - which contained that date - which
page I thought I remembered being there.)

> According to "Desky Kernowek", the word for "alive" is spelt 'bew' in KS.

And "desky", for that matter, is "desky" and not "dësky" despite the
SWF having both "desky" and "dysky".

> KS does not write the word for "and" as 'hàg', nor the word for "for" as
> 'ràg' (perhaps because these are always unstressed.)

For "hà(g)", I think "Desky Kernowek" explicitly stated that this was
due to a desire to avoid diacritics on a word as frequent as this.

> You could write the alternation 'yw / 'ew ' as 'yu' / 'eu' instead. That
> would give "alive" as 'byu' / 'beu', "is" / "are" / "am" as 'yu' / 'eu',
> "twice" as 'dyuweyth' / 'deuweyth', and "today" as 'hedhyu' / 'hedheu'. The
> endings '-ewgh' and '-ywgh' would become '-eugh' and '-yugh' in cases where
> there is alternation.
>
> Of course, if you were to do that, you would need a different spelling for
> the vowel that is currently written 'eu'. This has two pronunciations. It's
> a good candidate for 'ü'. (Remember my two dots for two pronunciations
> rule?)  The spelling for "I have" becomes 'yʼm büs', "full" becomes 'lün',
> and "how much?" becomes 'pysül?'.

Smells like UC to me :)

Cheers,
Philip