[Spellyans] Dumnonia

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 13:57:23 GMT 2014

Dewnans is from Lhuyd's Deunanz which he uses more than once.
Deunanz looks like a Cornicisation of W Dyfnaint.
It is hardly the Cornish reflex of *Domnonii which would have given *Dêwnyn, *Dôwnyn or similar.

In BK one finds Araby 'Arabia', Bitini 'Bithynia', Boecy 'Boetia', Itury,'Itury', Lyby 'Libya' and Syry 'Syria',
and Lumbardy is in BM and Germany in BK and TH. Moreover Judi <iudi> occurs in the Ordinalia.  Domnony then seems reasonable.

Nicholas