[Spellyans] Gwedh Aspect

iacobianus at googlemail.com iacobianus at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 25 17:33:59 BST 2017

Dear All,

With apologies to Dr George, he refers to gwedh in his entry for tirwedh, but in fact there is only one gwedh in the Gerlyver Meur, the one meaning ‘aspect’ which Dr George believes may legitimately be used as a simplex, so I am quite wrong to ascribe the folk etymology to him! And of course in Common Cornish the entry for trees is under gwydh.

Best regards,


From: Craig Weatherhill
Sent: ‎Tuesday‎, ‎25‎ ‎April‎ ‎2017 ‎16‎:‎08
To: spellyans at kernowek.net

We have <tirwedh> for "landscape".  How does the second element of this word (presumably <*gwedh>) translate into English?
I need opinions for the Penwith Landscape Partnership, please.

I note that <tirwel> is also in current use.  That of course, is rather simpler to unravel - <tir> + <gwel>, "prospect, view".


Spellyans mailing list
Spellyans at kernowek.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://kernowek.net/pipermail/spellyans_kernowek.net/attachments/20170425/285189ba/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Spellyans mailing list