[Spellyans] "Tribe"

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Feb 12 20:40:53 GMT 2020

This word is <cordh> (commonly reducing to <cor’>), pl. <corthow>, gender unclear.

It occurs in two Cornish place-names: Trigg (pagus Tricurius C7; Trigorscire c.881), the Hundred or Keverang of North Cornwall; and Langorthou 1310, the site of Fowey church.  It also occurs in Brittany as Trégor, evidently and like Kernev and Domnonèe,  a cross-channel transference.

It’s also interesting that in these names <try, tri> does not cause 3rd state mutation, but 2nd state.  Furthermore, where it occurs in the hill name Dry Carn (Tricarn 1300), “three (Bronze Age) cairns”, it causes no mutation at all in 6 surviving attestations spanning as many centuries.

I see no reason why <cordh, cor’>, pl. <cordhow> “tribe, clan, war-host” cannot be accepted into revived Cornish.

Craig