[Spellyans] jangye-ryn

Penny Squire pennysquire at ymail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:45:22 BST 2008

Craig, Jangye-ryn cannot  be 'ice-house'!

What would an ice-house be doing near Winnianton, a modest farm on the cliffs north of Mullion? As far as I know, only manor houses and such could afford to have ice-houses built, plus all the time, trouble and expense of hauling ice in winter, mixing with salt, etc.  Pencarrow had one, built in the early 1800s, I don't know of any other in Cornwall, but there may have been some.  I doubt if ice houses were known in Cornwall much before then, and this place name is surely older.

Jangye-ryn almost certainly is jynnji-rynn or jynnji-run (engine house [on a] promontory, or engine house [on a] slope) - with both the 'j' and the 'g' of 'jangye' pronounced as in 'jail'. It has an 'a' where one would expect a 'y' or an 'i' admittedly, but that's Cornish place names for you!

And, of course, the word order is Cornish.

I do hope that this example of historical sloppy spelling by some unknown scribe does not encourage any more theories about vocalic alternation or dialects.

Penny